[mythtv-users] building from source for NVIDIA xvmc

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Feb 15 03:59:29 UTC 2007

Yan Seiner wrote:
> Is there some magic incantation I have to do to build 0.20-fixes for
> nVidia XvMC  support?
>
> When I run ./configure  --enable-xvmc the configure script tells me I am
> using libXvMC....  ISTR that once I got it to say libXvMCNVIDIA but I
> can't swear to that.
>
> I do know that enabling / disabling xvmc makes no difference to my
> choppy playback, so I figure I would start back with building myth, and
> make sure I am doing all the right things.
>
> Should I build against nVidia's libXvMCNVIDIA or the generic libXvMC?
> And if I should use nVidia's lib, how do I tell myth to build against it?

Open configure with kate or whatever, and 'find' on xvmc. Deep into the
file, around line 2850 are a series of tests for xv, xrandr, xvmc etc.
You may not actually have specified a pre-requisite, or do not have a
required library or header. Found that out the long way!
Then, if you have the libXvMCW wrapper, you must have
(going from memory) libXvMCNVIDIA-dynamic.sp are the sole line in
/etc/X11/XvMCConfig.
And IIRC, you need to list the glx module to be loaded in xorg.conf. (A
via setup has a laundry list of modules, while an nvidia setup has only
the one required...!)
Check our the XvMC pages on the wiki. And amend anything that needs
updating, or clarification.

Geoff