[mythtv-users] WinTV-NOVA-T-500 - buying in the UK

junk junk at giantblob.com
Wed Feb 14 09:50:04 UTC 2007

Bryan Bennetts wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 February 2007 08:52, junk wrote:
>
>> ...interested in getting a Nova T 500. I live in a marginal signal
>> area. Do you have any idea how sensitive the tuners are?
>>

> I've got both a Nova-T and a Nova-T 500 - the OSD states the my signal is 21%
> (I think, I'm not at my home a.t.m. but I know the signal strength is low),
> and both cards work fine.  I've had EIT turned off since I installed the card
> and haven't had any crashes (that can be attributed to the 500).
>
> Bry.

Thanks - I don't know if it's meaningful to compare this figure across
different tuners but that's about the level I get from my AVer card
right now. I've just realised that adding a second card is not an option
due to poor motherboard design so can't just put another AVer PCI card
in. If I want a second tuner, I'll either have to add an USB device or
replace the AVer card with a dual tuner card. I'm wary of getting a USB
device since the chipsets change so often there's no guarantee what I
get will have working drivers. The Nova-T 500 may be what I need -
perhaps I can live without EIT if xmltv from radio times works well.

-- jeek