[mythtv-users] Strange Issue with Myth and HDHomeRun

John Welch jrw3319 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 03:57:30 UTC 2007

OK, my frustration level with this problem has just reached a new high.
Despite the fact that I wasn't 100% convinced the problem was related to my
network setup, some of the suggestions made in this thread, like getting the
hub and the IPCop box out of the mix, made perfect sense.  And since I
couldn't prove anything without trying something I decided to move both the
HDHR and my Myth B/E server to the internal network (192.168.0 - same
network as the F/E).  I moved everything around, got everything hooked back
up, and reconfigured for the network change.  I then went to the F/E, and
with high hopes that I had fixed the problem, fired up Myth.... Wouldn't you
know it, same stinking problem still exists.  (By the way, I think this new
network configuration make more sense, and will work out better for me in
the long run anyway, so I'm certainly not regretting the changes I made.)

In the process of the rearrange I had to move the HDHR to a new location,
with a new cable feed.  I was thinking that maybe, just maybe I had fixed
one problem and introduced another by making this move.  So, as a sanity
check I fired up the test Myth master B/E system that I had setup last night
and did a little testing.  On this test system a recording and playback was
pretty much spot-on perfect.  Now this test box and the production Myth B/E
box are located about 6 feet away from each other, are both connected to the
exact same switch, and essentially have the same network path to both the
HDHR and the F/E system.

So, where does that leave me with this problem?  I guess back to looking at
some of the other things suggested in this thread, like a power supply or
hard drive issue.  But if it is one of these things why does the problem
only present itself when I'm using the HDHR and the F/E at the same time?
These are load issues that I would think I would see when I recorded off of
the tuner cards, or when I ran some of the F/E functions on the B/E system,
and this is not the case.  Maybe a fluky NIC in the B/E system?  I guess
this is another possibility, but again I go back to if this was the case
wouldn't I likely see some evidence of a problem in the system logs?

To answer Scott's question about the kernel, I am using stock Fedora Core 6
kernels all the way around (B/E, F/E, even the test B/E).  And although it
wasn't asked, I'll tell you the Myth packages are from the Axel's ATrpms
'bleeding' repo, which were built from the SVN trunk on or around January
30th (revision 12674).  All other packages on the system are pretty much up
to date. (I'm just missing whatever has been released in the last few day,
while I have dedicated my attention to this problem.)

My next step I guess is to start gathering some data points.  I'll start the
mythbackend process with the '-v all' option and see if anything interesting
shows up in the myth logs.  I usually use 'top' to monitor system
performance.  Anyone know of any other freely available tools in Linux that
might be useful for troubleshooting this issue?

If anyone has any more suggestions please keep 'em comin'.  I'm willing to
try just about anything at this point.

Thanks,
John