[mythtv-users] Internal DVD player layer change glitch?

Scott list-mythtv at bluecamel.eml.cc
Wed Feb 14 00:23:14 UTC 2007

On Feb 13, 2007, at 7:02 PM, Brian Wood wrote:

> Most commercial DVDs that you purchase have warnings on the package
> about "delays", glitches" and other "artifacts" which may occur at
> layer change time.

I've seen these warnings too. But most DVD players I've used in the
past worst case maybe pause the video for one or two frames before
resuming. With xine and mplayer I really have to be looking for the
layer switch to find it. With the Internal player it's very obvious.

> I'm not sure of the details but I suspect it has as much to do with
> the firmware in the drive itself as it does the software being used
> to read from the drive.

Happens also with ISO files ripped with MythTV.

> Do the captions go away forever? Do they come back when you stop and
> restart?

Yes, they seem to. If a caption is on the screen when the layer
switch hits then that caption is "stuck" on the screen until I skip
back a few seconds and/or toggle captions on and off.

I was thinking it might be helpful for me to find a few popular disks
and make a note exactly at the time code I see the problem. This way
others can test and see if they can replicate. Anyone have
suggestions on popular DVDs I should try?

--
Scott