[mythtv-users] Transcoding for the PDA problems

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Tue Feb 13 19:40:31 UTC 2007

I followed the instructions here for setting up transcoding for my PDA.
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Transcoding_for_the_PDA
I used the pdatranscode script and I'm using myth's transcode which is
set for MPEG-4.

It successfully transcodes a 65 minute show (early and late plus
commercials) to about 250 meg. I can play the resulting file fine from
vlc, albeit with sometimes poor quality.

I just got my new pda phone last week, a Cingular 8525, which runs
Windows Mobile Version 5.0. It has Windows Media Player 10 Mobile for
Pocket PC version 10.2 Build 14955.

Now the problem, windows media player will not play the video. Do I
possibly need to find an MPEG-4 codec for it? Anyone know where I might
find that? Anything else I should do?

I also tried TMPCTCPMP_Media_Player_0.81RC1Beta, but when I installed it
I got an error that it was meant for an older OS. It still installed and
played, but it did not play the video very well. I don't know if it was
because of the video or because of the software.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,
James