[mythtv-users] Tuner based on Channel

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Feb 13 15:12:29 UTC 2007

On 02/13/2007 09:49 AM, Patrick Ouellette wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 08:34:39PM -0600, Michael Wisniewski wrote:
>
>>    I was wondering if there is an option to automatically choose the tuner
>> based on the channel.  For example, when I flip through the program guide,
>> channels 2 thru 100 should be the one card's input while 101+ should be the
>> other card's input.  Hope this makes sense.
> If you only define those channels on that tuner, then Myth already does
> that.  If the channel is defined on both tuners, then Myth chooses the
> input for recording based on the priority you set up on the tuner.
> You can always force a tuner change with the "Y" key (default key
> mapping to change tuners)

Or, put differently, the /only/ reason for channel numbers in Myth is to
allow the user to specify which channel should be tuned while in
LiveTV.  (And, to allow the user--by specifying and identical channel
number and channel callsign--to indicate that listings for that channel
should not be repeated in the program guide.)  So, if you define two
channels (i.e. 1 from one source and 101 from another source) with
different numbers (regardless of whether the content is the same), you
can select which one is tuned by using the appropriate channel number.
And, since the channel numbers are for users (not for Myth), users can
change them as they desire.

Use the channel editor in mythtv-setup or MythWeb.

Mike