[mythtv-users] Slow network causes myth to hang?

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Mon Feb 12 01:09:39 UTC 2007

On Sun, February 11, 2007 11:56 am, David Campbell wrote:
> I have an ongoing issue with my wireless network being rubbish, this
> isn't too much of an issue however it seems to have an adverse effect on
> myth, to which it is connected.
>
> If someone is transferring large files across the wireless network then
> myth becomes unresponsive when migrating menus.  Myth mounts all it's
> assets (media) across NFS.
>
> I understand why video playback is going to suck when there isn't enough
> bandwidth but is there any reason why myth menus should become totally
> unresponsive at the same time?
>
> Anyone else suffer from slow menus in myth, specifically in mythvideo?

Ive seen a similar problem where all of the media for MythMusic, MythVideo
and MythGallery are on an externa Windows file share. When the Windows PC
gets too busy or the firewall on the Windows PC decides to kill the
connection the MythTV box spirals out of control. You might even be
watching a locally recorded video and mythfrontend just hands and needs
restarting.

Steve

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited - The Home of myPVR