[mythtv-users] Is XFS the best choice?

Damian Surr damian at gingermagic.com
Sun Feb 11 20:37:59 UTC 2007

> Well, I've posted about this before, but certainly on my Fedora box,
> which is running LVM over RAID1 mirrors, I found XFS unstable.  Under
> normal working conditions, I got kernel oopses somewhere around
> weekly, maybe a little less frequently... unfortunately, it often
> happened while I was watching TV. >:|  And when I was running an
> active bittorrent client on my backend, I regularly had lockups
> *nightly*.
>
> Since, then, I've migrated to ext3, and the system has been solid ever
> since (the incremental delete functionality is sufficient for my needs).
>
> Brett.
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I hear not so great things about the performance of ext3, but I like the
fact that with it, a Linux newbie like me could put the disk into
windows (with the ext3 driver) and see what's left on the disk. With
XFS, I'm at a loss. I've not formatted the drive again yet (will be
doing in the next hour or two), but I don't seem to be able to find a
way of getting any information off of it because the system doesn't
recognise it! Similarly with JFS. It sounds great, but I'm shocked by
the response I've had to one system reboot with XFS so I'm nervous of
file systems I don't know. I'm sure ext3 is much slower than the
alternatives, but I find it more reassuring. The ext3 file system
survived the reboot with no problems.

Damian