[mythtv-users] Archiving: how are you doing it?

Mike Chandler michaelachandler at cox.net
Sun Feb 11 00:36:49 UTC 2007

> On Feb 10, 2007, at 4:57 PM, Mike Chandler wrote:
> > Thanks for the detailed info, Brian. I am using MythArchive and it
> > works very
> > well. I will look for DVDs on sale, as you suggest. I guess SVCDs
> > are not the
> > way to go anymore, anyway.
>
> Certainly not for "playable" disks. By the time you compress a 1 or 2
> hour program down to fit on a CD it looks pretty bad.
>
> I suppose if you were to use MPEG4 encoding in one of its many
> variants you could get a lot more onto a CD. Some players will even
> play DiVX/XViD disks, but not too many will do so.

In the past, I've gotten ahold of my TV show in a .avi or .divx format,
which 'someone' had usually recorded in hi-definition, and they came out nice
on SVCD.
But keep in mind that I have an *old* 13" tv, which is barley cable-ready, and
on and on.
Now I'm trying to use MythTV instead of downloading the shows.
My ATI "TV-wonder VE" isn't (I don't think) hi-definition capable, at all, but
then I haven't had time to fully research all this stuff.

Thanks for the reply.