[mythtv-users] Slow network causes myth to hang?

David Campbell dave at cpfc.org
Sun Feb 11 00:19:07 UTC 2007

John Drescher wrote:
> I have the same problem with a 100Mbit wired Ethernet connection and 2
> dual processor rigs. If I am moving shows from the master backend box
> to the local machine (via nfs) the connection to database does not get
> enough bandwidth and times out. It does this for any of the myth
> utilities or the frontend. In the frontend this shows up as very slow
> menus. In the utilities(transcode, mythcommflag, mytharchive ...) they
> usually quit with an error.

Wow - saturating a 100Mb link with mysql seems a little excessive to me.
Surely myth only needs to transfer the metadata?  I look after
production mysql databases that do 100 queries a second over 100Mb ethernet.

There has to be a lot of traffic going over the wire on the myth protocol.

Might be worth capturing using tcpdump and replaying with etheral to see
what all that chat is?

Dave