[mythtv-users] Myth frontend on PPC OSX?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 09:29:25 UTC 2007

> On Feb 9, 2007, at 8:53 PM, Stroller wrote:

> >> Put it in the dock do folks can fine it easily, or use TigerLaunch to
> >> start it from the menu bar.
> >
> > The icon in the dock is just a shortcut, tho'.
> > Other users won't be able to run the program unless the app's bundle
> > is already somewhere they can read & execute it.
> > Hence the need to drag & drop it somewhere like Applications.
> >
> > I _think_ also that the dock is user-specific (see "~/Library/
> > Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist", note the "~/") so in order for
> > other users to find it easily in the dock he'd have to log on as each
> > user in turn & drag the program there for them.
> >
> Right, I assumed he would put it in the apps folder and then setup
> the dock icon for each user who has to use it.

Where I would like to get to is the same place as my other dedicated
Myth frontends that sit connected to TVs. The box is on all the time
but when it boots it automatically logs in as a user called mythtv and
starts the frontend. It won't probably have a keyboard or mouse
attached unless I eventually do a wireless setup but the last time we
did that no one wanted to look at OS desktops on the 46" TV.

No one here seems to like OS X much. No one wants to spend the money
and buy Mac apps. As a piece of hardware it's not worth enough to sell
anymore as I'd have to spend $300 to build some sort of low-end
mythfrontend machine, etc., so I'm just trying to make use of it.

Thanks,
Mark