[mythtv-users] Myth frontend on PPC OSX?

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Sat Feb 10 02:05:37 UTC 2007

On 10 Feb 2007, at 00:57, Mark Knecht wrote:
> .... I'm not much of a Mac guy. What's the proper way to really
> install
> this so that it works for anyone that's logged on? When I double click
> on your .dmg file I get a broser that shows the file which I simply
> dragged ot my desktop to test but there must be a better way to do
> this. Should I be putting in the Application folder?

Any user can run it by double-clicking on the .app (or from a
terminal `open /path/to/someProgram.app`) as long as the Unix file
permissions are suitable.

IE: other users probably can't read files on your ~/Desktop but
since /Applications is 775 group admin any "power user" can drop
programs in there & anyone can use them. The only magic about
Applications & its subdirectories are that they are scanned at start-
up (or when the user logs in?) so that the "open with..." option
(right-click &c) knows which programs will open jpegs (or whatever).

It feels very weird at first "installing" a program by doing nothing
but dragging it to Applications (I actually add an /Applications/
Stuff folder for miscellanea) but you will soon find it quite
refreshing.

Stroller.