[mythtv-users] MythTV + Distro

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Feb 9 21:06:22 UTC 2007

On Feb 9, 2007, at 1:48 PM, David Snider wrote:

>> I was debating weather or not I should bother suggesting gentoo.
>>
>> I believe setting up mythtv in gentoo is far simpler than most other
>> distros that do not have mythtv in their official package management
>> system.
>>

> I run Gentoo and find it to be incredibly easy for MythTV.  The
> upgrades
> since 0.17 have been completely transparent with no issues whatsoever.

Precisely, you "run Gentoo". It is easy for folks who know it and are
familiar with it. In fact I was trying to help a friend the other day
who had installed kubuntu and I found their "easy" install/upgrade
system very confusing - it's bad enough at the command line but the
GUI thing that's supposed to make it "easy" is a nightmare. One would
think that clicking on an icon labeled "full upgrade" would in fact
perform a full upgrade, nope, you have to click something else
labeled "perform request" or something like that. I'll take the
"hard" solution any day over that mess.

Then I tried to figure out how to tell the system to install a
program with support for a certain feature, nope again, you get
whatever features the packager decided you need, not what you want.

You can have the "easy" answer in my book, but the main thing is that
we all have a choice.

But I suppose if all you knew was Windows it would be "easy", or at
least "easier".