[mythtv-users] MythTV + Distro

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Fri Feb 9 18:08:37 UTC 2007

On 9 Feb 2007, at 17:47, Cole Brodine wrote:

> Before we all do get too carried away, I should have mentioned that
> the wiki does contain some information about distributions.  it's got
> varying levels of detail, so if any of you want to help get it
> updated, that would be good.  It might be nice to put Distros under
> it's own category and give each distro it's own page as well.

I'm tempted to contribute. Might it be worth splitting the list into
dedicated Myth distros & general-purpose Linux distros?

Even better, that looks like a "list of platforms on which Myth
runs", rather than a "list of recommended distros". At the end of the
day, should we not be encouraging use of distros like Knoppmyth &
Mythdora for those who have no previous Linux experience?

The chances are that an experienced Linux user will install MythTV on
his favourite distro, rather than choosing to learn a new package
manager & other quirks just to install MythTV. If we agree that
learning Linux is hard enough without configuring MythTV, too, (and
likewise configuring Myth is hard enough without learning Linux at
the same time) then what's the benefit to listing all the general-
purpose distros on the wiki?

Maybe it's just my perspective, but it seems to me that those who
come to Myth having never ever used Linux before have quite a hard
time of it. If there are dedicated MythTV distros out there (such as
Knoppmyth & Mythdora) then shouldn't those be the "supported
solution" for newcomers?

Stroller.