[mythtv-users] powernowd (et al) on SMP with Mythtv?

Michael Thome mthome at bbn.com
Fri Feb 9 14:05:50 UTC 2007

I'm having trouble getting powernowd (and other cpu scalers) to react
appropriately to Myth's cpu loading patterns with my dual-core machine -
I suspect I need to play around with parameters some more, but I thought
I'd see if anyone else is happy with their settings.

The problem: watch live tv on a software-encoded tuner leads to high cpu
utilization on one core (85-95%) but low on the other (10%).  powernowd
leaves the clock rate at lowest setting, resulting in jerky motion on
playback.  Similar situations can happing during DVD playing, HD
playback, etc - one cpu is all out, the other is idle, average is around
50%.  Percept is great if I turn off powernowd, but then I'm always
running at high clockrate.  Kernel-only on_demand seems to behave similarly.

My system is an Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (65W), Ubuntu Edgy

Thanks
--
*Michael Thome*
BBN Technologies 10 Moulton St, Cambridge MA 02138 USA