[mythtv-users] What's up with the PVR-150?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Feb 9 04:25:00 UTC 2007

On Feb 8, 2007, at 9:17 PM, Rich West wrote:

> IMHO, you should get what you pay for.  Period.  If you bought a
> PVR-150, you should get a PVR-150.  This whole idea of them
> swapping it
> for a 1600 is just plain wrong.  They should be honest and just say
> "Out
> of Stock".
>
> I guess I now know why, when I bought two PVR-150's (the 274 model
> from
> Newegg), I got the ones with the FM tuner in it instead.

It's hard enough to keep up with all the variations of the same model
number  that Hauppauge turns out, without them making the game even
more difficult by playing even more games than they admit to (at first).

I kept telling myself that their main customer base is Windows users,
who wouldn't care about the swap (or even be aware of it).

But darn it we're customers too, and more valuable ones, because they
have to know that every card sold to a Myth user will not incur
expense for tech support the way one sold to a Windows user will, and
thus we contribute more to their bottom line than just the numbers
would indicate.

I wonder what percentage of their PVR sales is to Linux users, I'll
bet it's significant.