[mythtv-users] Recording Radio from STB

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 22:45:11 UTC 2007

On 08/02/07, Robin Gilks <g8ecj at gilks.org> wrote:
> Greetings
>
> As I understand it, a DVB capture device can recognise a radio (no
> picture) source and record just the audio.

It still creates a dummy video stream, which in my experience
recording from BBC-R4 usually comes out at the same size as the audio
stream (~50MB for a 30min recording).

> I'm using a PVR150 to capture from an STB and there are a few radio
> channels I'm interested in. Is there a way to record these without the
> hours of still video frame? i.e. just the audio?

Not that I am aware of for a hardware MPEG2 card. To keep filesizes
down I suppose you could create a special recording profile with very
low video bitrate so that total filesizes are as small as possible.

I haven't tried using the 'recording type' setting and specifying
'Audio only' with a PVR card either. I'm not sure how early in the
encoding process the audio and video streams are separate to allow
MythTV to access one or the other, or whether the ivtv driver passes
the already muxed stream encoded with the settings MythTV has passed
to the driver.

Nick
--
MythTV Official wiki: