[mythtv-users] NAS RAID 5 for MythTv

Robert Kulagowski bob at smalltime.com
Thu Feb 8 20:52:41 UTC 2007

> This is interesting, I've been looking for a SATA controller that has hardware
> AND driver support for hotswap. Apparently I've been looking in the wrong
> places (hardware supported by the new libata drivers -- not much support
> seems to exist yet for hotswap).
>
> Do I get this right: using a controller like the 9500 and an IcyDock would
> support, say, some RAID configuration of external SATA drives (eSATA) and the
> possibility to remove one of the disks without having to turn off the system,
> and the RAID would stay intact? That could prove very useful I'd think.
>
> Unfortunately the 9500 is a bit pricier than most stuff supported by libata.
> And isn't the IcyDock very noisy (the fan and when filled with drives)?

Yes, I have a 5x320GB RAID-5 on a 9500S-12.  One of the drives is
currently out and RMAd to Seagate, so I'm running with only 4 drives.

I didn't have to power down the server to pull the drive - the RAID card
had already bypassed the drive because it was throwing errors.

As far as noise, it's in the basement, so I can't hear it.  But it's
certainly nothing like a vacuum cleaner or anything like that; it has a
80mm hot-swap fan.  The drives feel cool, so they're not overheating.

And the 9500S-12 was from ebay, so you may want to check there.  I see
one with a battery backup unit for $309 from a high feedback seller, so
it may be an option for you.