[mythtv-users] Confused about the channel editor / adding HDTV QAM channels

Phil Bridges gravityhammer at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 17:04:02 UTC 2007

On 2/8/07, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:
> Phil Bridges wrote:
> > On 2/7/07, Phil Bridges <gravityhammer at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> What am I missing when it comes to adding my channels from my new QAM
> >> HDTV card?  I have the card installed, and I did a channel scan.  From
> >> there, I was able to go into live TV mode (with no stuttering on a
> >> 3000+)  and view the few HD channels I can get.  This is when I ran
> >> into problems, though.
> >>
> >> I could edit the channels (mostly local), and I assigned the same
> >> callsigns to them as my analog channels (for instance, WSB, which is
> >> channel 3 on my analog cable.  After I did this, I could no longer
> >> tune to that channel using the up/down keys.  Does this sound correct?
> >>  It is as if Myth is trying to tune to the actual channel 3 (or it may
> >> even be 2) on my HD card.
> >>
> >> In addition, when I just looked at my listings via Mythweb, I don't
> >> even have my WSB listed.  In it's place, on channel 3, I now have:
> >>
> >> 3
> >> Adding Channel 3
> >>         NO DATA
> >>
> >> What am I doing wrong?  Hoe do I set up MythTV to (a) show only the HD
> >> channels that I want to watch in HD and (b) let me tune into and
> >> record listings off those channels?
> >>

> > Well, I've been able to add the channels in using a local broadcast
> > DirectData feed, but it's changed my channel frequencies - for
> > instance, it moved my ABC to 5#1, when it's somewhere in the 80's.
> > Perhaps I shouldn't have obeyed the big bold warning at the told of
> > this wiki entry:
> > http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Adding_QAM_Channels_For_HDTV_Tuner_Cards
>
> Myth gets horribly confused if you have 2 channels which are exactly the
> same. I suspect that your analog WSB is repeated as a digital channel.
> In that case, the xmltvid would be the same. Myth 'wants' to have
> discrete sets of channels, without overlaps of channels on different
> hardware setups. It does not mind having similar tuners, such as the 2
> in a PVR500. It dislikes having the *same* channel tunable by 2
> completely different methods. (Not to say that in a perfect world it
> should be able to do that, but it is what it presently is...)
>
> So you must choose the channels you want to get digitally, and set up
> your Zap2it lineup for those only. The others go into a different lineup.
>
> Others have faced this problem. I do not think there is an easy answer.
> You might try the wiki and search the list archive.

Oh, I'm very familiar with the list search ;)

Here's what I did - after doing a DVB scan through the mythtv-setup, I
started up Mythfrontend and browsed my new channels.  When I
discovered all I really had that I could pick up in HD were local
channels, I made an additional listing at Zap2It with just the OTA
stations, and just the DT versions of those.

I edited each channel that I wanted to view using the frontend channel
editor.  For each channel, I put in the XMLTV id from the new listing
- all of these should be new, since I don't have the DT channels on my
analog cable.

I *believe* that what happened is when I did my next mythfilldatabase,
Myth re-assigned the frequencies for these channels from the QAM
digital cables frequencies I'd scanned to the OTA frequencies.  Now, I
can't tune those channels in.  I'm guessing that what I need to do now
is do a manual dvbscan and find the actual frequencies of the channels
I want to use and manually hack the channel table to use these
frequencies.  Does this sound correct?  Is this the *normal* way of
doing this, or did I botch something else somewhere?  Will these
frequencies get changed again when I do my next mythfilldatabase?