[mythtv-users] internal dvd player deinterlacing behavior

Nate Crosno nate at crosno.net
Thu Feb 8 05:11:17 UTC 2007

Hi All,

I'm seeing some strange behavior with the internal dvd player in Myth when
deinterlacing.  In my settings, I am using Bob, with the standard mpeg2 decoder
and enabled opengl vsync.

When playing a DVD, it does not appear to be deinterlacing at all.  If I pull
up the on-screen menu, the scan method will show 'auto'.  If I select
'interlaced', nothing happens, but if I then select 'reverse' and then go back
and select 'interlaced' again, then the picture looks good.

Any ideas on why this is happening or how to get deinterlacing going from the
initial startup?

I'd used xine for DVDs before, but it's acting funny (can't display OSD and
page flickers when it tries, but that's another story) so I thought I'd try the
internal player again.

BTW, I was having problems with DMA not staying enabled on the DVD drive. I
could set DMA=1 with 'hdparm', but as soon as the drive was accessed, DMA would
get turned off. After a lot of searching finally came up with trying a new IDE
cable and that did the trick.

Thanks,
Nate