[mythtv-users] DVB-T card with high sensitivity

Peter Bowyer peter at bowyer.org
Wed Feb 7 23:27:07 UTC 2007

On 07/02/07, scratch1701 <scratchbuild at gmail.com> wrote:
> I also have the same problem as the original post: good signal in a
> few multiplexes, terrible in one.
>
> I managed to improve the situation with a £5 signal attenuator from Maplin.
>
> http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=965&doy=7m2
>
>  It's plugged straight into the aerial-in port of my dvb-t card, and
> improved the quality just enough. I tried one of those wall plug
> signal boosters, and that only amplified the noise.

Just to provide a counter-example - I live in a block of flats with a
communal aerial, presumably with some kind of distrbution amp feeding
around 10 flats.

The signal at the socket by my TV is just about OK - as other people
have found, the Mux A 'Crystal Palace' Channel 5 signal is the worst.
When I started with Myth, a combined FE/BA next to the TV received
those channels OK.

When I went to a split system, the BE disappeared into the 'spare
bedroom' (you can perhaps imagine it isn't really suitable for
sleeping in any more, it's full of computers), with the UHF TV signal
piped through built-in wiring. Back there, I couldn't get a lock on
any of the Mux A channels.

The addition of a cheapie single-output amplifier where the signal
comes in, before the long run to the back room, brought those channels
back again.

I use a Nova-T 500 twin DV-B tuner, no idea whether it's good or bad
on sensitivity.

Peter

--
Peter Bowyer