[mythtv-users] Am I running out of bandwitdth?

David Campbell dave at cpfc.org
Wed Feb 7 21:50:37 UTC 2007

Bill Chmura wrote:
> Can you temporarily hard wire it to see if playback issues go away?

Not easily

> I would guess that the problem is not the cpu either (could be though, something running suddenly), but the delivery of data to the box.  NFS should be quick enough, so I think you are right in that its either the network, or something is running occasionally that is dinging the back end or front end enough to make the data transfer lag...

I had a think and realised that the problem was quite specific.

/data/foo.iso was OK
/data/bar/foo.iso wasn't

Bar is a symlink to a Buffalo Drivestation 500gb external hard disk
whereaas / is an ordinary IDE internal disk.

I worked out that the Drivestation was connected via USB whci appears to
be version one (it's an old server).

I went to Staples and bought a USB2 PCI card, installed it, rebooted the
system only for fsck to fail on the root partition.

The error doesn't look recoverable  - so I lost my file server, I have
95% of the data - which is good but still gutted :(

--
David Campbell :: www.cpfc.org