[mythtv-users] TV Recommendations

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 19:01:50 UTC 2007

On 2/7/07, James Oltman <cnlibmyth at gmail.com> wrote:
> > and of course, read the avsforum and trade magazine reviews.
> >
> > We have a 65" Mitsubishi 1080p DLP and love it. It's bright, has
> > excellent color (due to a 6 color wheel) and is *huge*. As for the
> > difference between DLP and Plasma/LCD, I think the biggest difference
> > is size, DLP being thicker, and mounting options. Of course as you go
> > larger the cost of DLP is much lower than Plasma/LCD.
> >
> > I would also suggest adding ~$200 to any TV price to pay for an ISF
> tuning.
> >
> > --
> > Steve
>
> However, you must keep in mind that some DLPs have issues.  Some people have
> reported seeing "rainbows" on the screen during fast action scenes.  This is
> a result of the color wheel.  It spins in there and during fast action the
> picture moves faster thus not allowing all the colors to hit the specific
> detail in the scene and causing the rainbow effect (I'm pretty sure that's
> the right description).  On projection systems (like some LCDs and DLPs) you
> can have a recurring cost of the lamp.  These lamps range in price but a
> good assumption is $300ish.  Keep that in mind.  LCDs aren't perfect either.
<snip>

The rainbow effect is an engineering or manufacturing flaw depending
on the set.  Many models don't have the problem (our Mitsu being one).
Older Sony's also had a "Green Glob" problem, though I believe they
fixed that with the newer ones. So its not a problem inherent in the
technology, just a possible problem when poorly engineered or caused
by a manufacturing flaw.

As for the lamp issue, they last about 10,000 hours and like you said
go for just under $300, the secret is to buy one before you need it,
so you aren't rushing to get one and overpay.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!