[mythtv-users] TV Recommendations

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Feb 7 17:43:56 UTC 2007

Bill Chmura wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 15:36:28 +0000
> Stroller <linux.luser at myrealbox.com> wrote:
>> On 7 Feb 2007, at 13:44, Stephen Sassman wrote:
>>
>>> Just out of curiosity... Anyone have an opinion on DLP?
>> Cheap & they seem to work well enough.
>>
>> I would probably choose a DLP over LCD or plasma, simply because I'll
>> be able to get the screen size for much less money, and I don't care
>> that it's a few inches thick at the base.
>
> I had a regular TV and replaced it with an LCD.  I have been very happy with it.  Westinghouse 47" - no tuner, but since I use myth or a VCR was able to save $1000 or so.  technically its a big ass monitor.
>
> My brother has a DLP and it works great, slightly less in the resolution department, but I am not sure that applies to all DLPs.  His DLP is a mitsubishi I believe.
>
> In my experience the biggest deciding factor is the connection to the TV.  I would strongly advise getting something with a VGA or DVI connector.  That has made my life so much easier.  Mythtv's OSD looks perfect.  I still use the PVR350 for encoding, but not playing back now.
>
> The DLP's are big.  Versus an LCD you are trading $$$ for size.  Take a look at them in the store.
>
> Also read up on refresh rates, brightness, modes, etc...
>
> Pros and cons to everything, including keeping your current tv :)

Most DLP's are BIG. Big in screen space and big in depth and big in weight.

PLus DLP's use a LOT of power. Most of them use very expensive bulbs
which have a limited life. Next time you are at bestbuy or whatever, you
may want to put your hand up to feel the heat given off.

One of the major North American vendors gives reasonably complete
specifications for their products, including the POWER requirement. (It
could have been bestbuy or tigerdirect)

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury
            Barrister and Solicitor