[mythtv-users] rtJpeg ugly artifacts?

Michael Thome mthome at bbn.com
Wed Feb 7 17:37:33 UTC 2007

I'm having trouble with my new mythtv box using rtjpeg for live tv - I
see some very significant decoding (or maybe encoding?) errors on any
live software-compressed stream from the analog side of my pchdtv hd5500
- it manifests very much like a DTV stream with line noise - big square
blocks of solid color.  Switching the software encoder to mpeg4 makes
avoids this problem, but at a significant leap in processing power.  My
guess is that it is in the rtjpeg _decoding_, since rtjpeg separately
compresses each frame, any errors shouldn't be persisting for the second
or two that what I see is.  I was seeing the problem out of the box
(with default myth settings).

I haven't been able to find this as a known problem, but as a newbie I'm
probably not looking in the right places.

I'm running a vanilla ubuntu edgy with myth 0.20 from the default
repositories (used the ubuntu wiki docs on setting up myth almost
verbatim).  I did hand-updates of lirc, ivtv, and v4l-dvb to support my
hardware with the recommended versions, but I've left all the rest as
standard versions.

Any suggestions or avenues of approach for troubleshooting would be most
welcome...

Thanks!
--
*Michael Thome*
BBN Technologies 10 Moulton St, Cambridge MA 02138 USA