[mythtv-users] MythTV on Playstation 2

Ross Campbell ross.campbell at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 17:37:01 UTC 2007

On 2/7/07, Ben Edwards <funkytwig at gmail.com> wrote:
> Was wondering if it was possible to run a frontend on a (new)
> Playstation 2.  Have done some googeling but not found anything
> concrete.  Anyone had any luck with this/got any howtos?

Walk before you run. Try to get your PS2 to run Linux first...
http://playstation2-linux.com/ ... how much time and money are you
willing to invest in this effort?  Are you willing to buy an old PS2
with a hard drive and buy Sony's Linux from ebay?

Linux requires the old PS2s -
http://playstation2-linux.com/forum/message.php?msg_id=50108

Are you willing to build mythtv from source and patch mythtv code as
necessary? It's not going to be quick, easy, or straightforward, and
*IF* you get it to work, you'll probably find the PS2 running Linux
underpowered for a mythtv frontend. If you're still interested in
pursuing this... good for you!

Sony sells/sold a PS2 linux kit that requires a hard drive for
install. In many regions it's sold out. I haven't found a free Linux
distro that the PS2 can boot that doesn't depend on Sony's Linux kit.

There is BlackRhino Linux that provides a lot of binary packages based
on Debian... but it requires Sony's Linux to install.

It's a shame, really... I wish Sony would just release their Linux
stuff for the PS2 (even if they only release binaries...) so that
people who are interested can play around with Linux on their PS2s.

-Ross