[mythtv-users] Quick question .. need to log in to record?

Trey Thompson treythompson at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 16:46:25 UTC 2007

> There's a program I want to record while we're away, but we have
> computer illiterate house sitters. I've set it all up, but the computer
> makes too much noise to have left on for 2 days (silencing it is my next
> project after getting it working).
>
> If I just tell my house sitters to turn the machine on an hour before
> the program, will it record or do I need to tell them how to log in as
> well? I don't know if the backend starts before or after log in.
>
> I've got a fairly fresh install of Ubuntu and Myth, so I've not set up
> anything fancy on boot up. It just goes to the log in screen.
>
> Cheers
> Damian

Following some of the Hot-To articles, your mythbackend process
"should" be starting up upon bootup, which is all you need to do
recordings.  The front-end, and X for that matter, don't need to be
running.

Also, for traveling, Mythweb is AWESOME!  Especially since I can pull
it up on my phone and schedule something I forgot, or, something I
just heard about from a friend.  :)