[mythtv-users] NAS RAID 5 for MythTv

Andrew Close aclose at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 15:57:15 UTC 2007

On 2/7/07, Chris Ribe <chrisribe at gmail.com> wrote:

> I guess that is where our assumption diverge.  When I think of modest
> hardware, I think of used P2 type boxes that can be found for about $30.
> My thinking was that nobody buys *new* computers to use as fileservers, they
> buy used computers, or more likely, use computers they already have.

i would typically agree with that statement.  but i didn't know beasts
like these existed at this price until about a day ago. :)  thanks
guys.  i've been thinking about building a file server for multimedia
and misc backup for a while now.  but using an old pc that holds 4-6
harddrives seemed inefficient.  i wonder if this equipment is a little
better at power consumption than an old pc filled with drives?  hot
swap is a nice feature, but for DIY home admins it isn't a necessity.