[mythtv-users] pdflush is killing me

Scott list-mythtv at bluecamel.eml.cc
Wed Feb 7 03:33:10 UTC 2007

On Feb 6, 2007, at 10:12 PM, Steve Hodge wrote:

> On 2/7/07, Scott <list-mythtv at bluecamel.eml.cc> wrote:
> In a non-MythTV environment I had some bad experiences with JFS under
> very heavy load and that pushed me to try ext3 for my MythTV box.
>
> Can you elaborate on the problems you had?

I used to admin/manage a large ftp server and used JFS for the /var/
ftp partition which was 2TB using 80% capacity. The server pushed out
an avg of 12TB per month via ftp and rsync. This was on RHEL3 using
the Red Hat provided kernel along with current JFS 2.4.x kernel
patches from back then.

Mostly things ran great but some "odd problems" just never seemed to
go away. For example, jfs_fsck always seemed to have issues within
some directory trees, repeatedly. That's one issue that stuck in my
head, however, I no longer have my notes from the project so I'm not
going to speculate on the exact issues, fixes, and versions I used
back then. :)

I should have qualified my quoted statement by saying that I've never
seen a MythTV environment generate close to the same IO load as the
old ftp server I ran. Also, the problems I saw were under earlier
versions of JFS than what is available now. It's more than likely any
issues I encountered back then are fixed or wouldn't be triggered
under MythTV loads.

On a positive note, the JFS mailing list is very helpful and the JFS
devs have always been responsive, both then and now. I feel
completely comfortable using the current JFS in 2.6.18+ on my dual
tuner HDTV MythTV box.

--
Scott