[mythtv-users] .18 to latest update

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Feb 6 21:54:26 UTC 2007

On Feb 6, 2007, at 2:26 PM, Todd Houle wrote:

> I've got an .18 install of Myth setup about a year and a half ago
> which has been working great.  It's running Fedora setup with
> Jarrod's guide.   I've got it running in the living room with 3
> remote additional frontends.  The problem is my wife won't let me
> mess with it anymore as she doesn't want it busted...

She is very wise. I would keep her.

>   It's running
> on a Dell GX 170  (512MB Ram).  It has a PVR350 and PVR500 on NTSC.
> What are the risks in updating to a later version?  Any recommended
> method so as to lessen the chance I'll kill it?  I'm tempted to setup
> a second box and move the Hauppauge cards over later, but don't have
> enough spare large disks around...  The box has not been touched
> except for a few themes installed.
>   thanks in advance

Do you really need large drives?

I'd think a small drive, only big enough to hold the OS and the Myth
installation. You could then export a directory from your existing
machine via NFS and use that for storage.

You would only have to do this to setup and test the new rig, once
you were happy with it you could move the large drives or whatever
you want.

You could even set up the new machine with no PVRs and get it more or
less running before you moved those cards.

But above all - listen to your wife.