[mythtv-users] MythWeb: asx stream is kinda `choppy`

Bob Cottingham bobnvic at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 16:57:37 UTC 2007

On 2/6/07, Chris Pinkham <cpinkham at bc2va.org> wrote:
> * On Mon Feb 05, 2007 at 09:00:07PM -0800, Chris Petersen wrote:
> > The biggest problem with a *good* implementation of on-the-fly
> > transcoding is caching of the transcoded files.  I'd rather not do this
> > in mythweb, since it would mean writing a cache-management routine,
> > along with having to update my personal backup scripts to ignore things
> > like flv, avi, etc.
> >
> > Instead, having the backend be aware of transcoded files (or better yet,
> > transcode them itself) would mean that auto-expire, etc. could be made
> > aware of the other files and manage removing them, etc.
>
> This would fall under the plan with the recordedfile table idea that I've
> been working on which would allow you to store multiple files per
> recording.  You could have a user job that automatically transcoded a
> recording to .flv and then inserted a record into the recordedfile table.
> MythWeb would notice that there was a .flv file (by looking at a type or
> description field) and could allow the user to stream that file
> via MythWeb.  Files in this table would be accounted for in Myth the same
> way that the original recording file is.  The would be deleted with the
> original file, their space would be taken into account by the Auto-Expirer,
> you could play any one you wanted from the Watch Recordings screen, etc..

I don't see what on-the-fly transcoding necessarily has to do with
file management however.  The transcode user jobs that are mentioned
above are not on-the-fly.  I used user jobs for a while to produce
flash video for remote viewing until I changed to using vlc to
transcode files on-the-fly and this does not leave any additional
files behind to manage.  Using on-the-fly transcoding resulted in less
wasted disk space and much less processor load since it only
transcoded those few files we actually wanted rather than every one.

I understand that the developers do not want to add another
dependency, especially one as large as vlc, however is there any hope
of providing an option in mythweb to support a mythstreamtv type of
functionality for those that do install vlc?

Thanks,
Bob C