[mythtv-users] RAW support in MythGallery

Tim Phipps mythtv-users at phipps-hutton.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Feb 6 13:57:01 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 6 February 2007 1:21 pm, Mark Chang wrote:
> Agreed. However, the RAW support is what I need the most. I just wrote
> a quick script to convert all RAW files to jpgs last night, so I can
> get by browsing pictures on the TV now, but true RAW support might be
> nice.

I doubt you'll notice any difference between a RAW file and a JPEG on a TV
screen, even if you have 1920x1080p. What you might notice is the extra lag
you get dragging a massive RAW file off the disk (across a network) and
through a decoder. You do need a decoder, it's not like FLAC which is trivial
to unpack, RAW files need processing before display. Go look up the dcraw
documents to see just why it takes so long.

I use a Fuji S7000 in RAW mode and it handily includes a 1280x960 JPEG in the
RAW file. I drag it out with:
tail --bytes=+149 < "$raw" | jpegtran -optimize -copy all > "$jpg"
I've only used a RAW file once in anger, the JPEGs are fine for viewing and
even printing on 6"x4.5".

Cheers,
Tim.