[mythtv-users] Pause Transcoding When Watching Video

Brandon Rogers blrogers at ieee.org
Tue Feb 6 02:02:23 UTC 2007

All,

I have a MythBox (2.8 GHz HT Pentium 4 w/ Nvidia 5200) for HDTV recording
with the pcHDTV 3000 card.  I transcode a lot of my recorded content
immediately after the recording finishes to save space (seeing how it comes
in on one of the lower resolution sub-channels anyway).  On lower definition
recordings this works perfectly, as both the transcoding / commercial
flagging and watching low-res video doesn't max out the CPU.  However, at
higher resolutions, the video becomes choppy due to the system being
overworked (as expected).

Now here comes the question. Would it beneficial to provide on option in the
Playback Groups settings to allow jobs in the Job Queue to be paused when
video is watched and resumed when video watching is over?  This would save
me from having to manually pause the job and restarting them (which I often
forget to do).  I imagine this would be pretty simple to add since this
functionality (in its manual form) already exists, but am looking for
feedback on this idea before diving in to the code to try and accomplish
this.

What do you think?  Would it be useful to anyone else besides just me?

Thanks,

Brandon