[mythtv-users] TiVo (S1) as a MythTV Frontend

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Feb 6 00:20:48 UTC 2007

On Feb 5, 2007, at 5:12 PM, Tortise wrote:

> Hi Brian
>
> I was not looking to claim the idea as mine, having posted a link
> where someone else had given some thought to it.
>
> I think the Myth frontend might be customised to work on TiVo somehow.
>
> What I was hoping to do was stimulate some interest in someone with
> the skills helping out.
>
> Thinking about this some more, if one could, for example, run up
> Ubuntu on the TiVo box then one would be almost there!
>
> Seems to me someone with the right skills could do this quite
> easily.  Sadly that is not me, yet anyways.

It's not a question of "skills", it's a question of proprietary
information about patented devices. Those with the knowledge and
ability to do this would still be constrained by NDAs, software
patents, copyrights and other legal problems.

In short, it ain't gonna happen, at least not legally.

But I'd certainly love to be proved wrong, I have an old series-2 in
the garage :-)