[mythtv-users] Diskless

Trey Thompson treythompson at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 19:41:24 UTC 2007

> Actually, it helps a lot.  :)  I've got a 24 port layer3 10/100 switch
> as the central hub and 100Mb FD throughout.  The backend would represent
> the only limitation only if each of the 3 frontends were pulling HD
> streams at the same time, and the impact of that would have to be tested
> before I would worry about it. :)  Since I only have SD streams, I'm
> probably fine there. :)

One thing to consider, an option I've used in commercial applications
many times, is to not use a hub/switch between the Front Ends and Back
End for the main streaming.  This could be difficult if you're doing
any storage on the Front Ends (slave backend), but if you're not, it
should work great.

You could get something like a 4 port PCI NIC card, and then have a
direct CAT5 run to each of the Diskless Frontends.

That would sure give you MORE than enough bandwidth to do whatever you wanted.

Then, you could even use normal NICs in the frontends for Internet,
whatever, and keep one in the FE dedicated to the backend.  Never have
that traffic hit your "LAN".

But, obviously, this is overkill unless you've got something like 5 HD
front ends, and a busy network.