[mythtv-users] mpeg2video errors w/ transcode and comm flag

Seth Hettich sjh at zorak.net
Mon Feb 5 04:07:43 UTC 2007

> We'd need more info on your system to make a better guess, but it
> looks like you are hitting the wall on some resource. What CPU/RAM do
> you have?

Dual Athlon 2100 w/ 3G of ram.

> Try reducing the priority (niceness) of your commflagg/transcode
> jobs. Also look at your CPU load when this is happening. Does it only
> happen when you are watching a recording? Are you hitting swap?

So, I'm a bit confused here. Are you sugesting that load during
transcoding is the problem, or load during recording?  Am I right that
these messages are printed by the transcoder (and not by the
recorder)?  If so, it would seem that only what's going on during
recording would matter, and given that I have a device w/ a HW encoder
it would seem that only some sort of PCI problem could cause the data
to get messed up (or it's a problem w/ the capture card or driver).

> Might also check PCI latency, especially if you have a VIA chipset mobo.

How does this look:
tivi% lspci | grep Conexant
02:06.0 Multimedia video controller: Conexant CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video
and Audio Decoder (rev 05)
02:06.2 Multimedia controller: Conexant CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and
Audio Decoder [MPEG Port] (rev 05)
tivi% setpci -s 02:06.0 MAX_LAT
37
tivi% setpci -s 02:06.2 MAX_LAT