[mythtv-users] PVR500 Composite In Picture Quality

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Feb 5 00:59:07 UTC 2007

On Feb 4, 2007, at 11:48 AM, Jeffrey Born wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've got some home videos that I'm trying to archive off into
> mythtv, but the input quality is just rotten.  I've been playing
> with different cables, and even took the entire contraption over to
> the TV to verify it wasn't on the video tape or video out/cables
> I'm using.
>
> So now I know I have a good tape, good cables, and good connections
> on the cables to the video camera.  But when I attempt to capture
> via the composite in on the PVR500 the picture.  The best way to
> explain it is I see frames or the picture flutters, gets out of sync.
>
> A large portion of the recording does not have those artifacts, but
> ever minute to 5 minutes I get these artifacts and it is quite
> annoying.
>
> Any ideas on what I can do to fix this?

Are you sure the problem is in the captured MPEG file and not with
whatever you are playing it back with?

Is this happening outside of Myth? If it is and the recording is
indeed bad you might try the IVTV list, otherwise you might have a
problem playing back a good file. A glitch every 1 to 5 minutes could
be something on your system kicking in and upping the load.

Does it look OK in between glitches or is the quality bad overall?

Try a direct capture and then play it back with something besides
Myth, or even on another system, or even try burning it to a DVD.

Just ideas, but that's what you asked for :-)