[mythtv-users] Remote with keyboard emulator

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Sun Feb 4 04:13:58 UTC 2007

On Saturday 03 February 2007 23:00, Robin Smith wrote:
> I am wondering if there is a remote available that works by simply
> emulating keyboard commands. While I think this would be good for
> MythTV, I am looking for it for another application (in Window$) where
> I want o be able to program any key on the remote to emulate a
> keyboard key.
>
> In other words, a keyboard in the form factor of a TV-style remote control.
>
> Given that there's many folks here with a variety of hardware
> experience, I thought it would be a good place to ask...

There are infrared wireless keyboards available. You could get one of those
(for the IR receiver) and then program a sufficiently advanced universal
remote to emulate the keyboard. Of course, most universal remotes aren't
marked with the sorts of alphanumeric keys you find on computer keyboards, so
the mapping will be awkward at best. Some very advanced universal remotes
have LCDs that you can program, though; presumably you could program them
with computer keyboard symbols, although I've not looked into this.

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com