[mythtv-users] MythTV : Thank You

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Feb 4 03:52:46 UTC 2007

On Feb 3, 2007, at 8:25 PM, Brian Schott wrote:

> You've really been running Linux since 93?  That's like since day
> one!  Or did you mean Unix?  Ignoring the really funky machines, I've
> taken a meandering path from VMS, to Ultrix, to SunOS, to IRIX, to
> Slowaris (Solaris), to Linux (and most recently riding roman in the
> BSD camp with Darwin/OSX :-). I just wish everybody would stop
> fiddling with where they place their stinking config files!

No I'm talking about Linux. It might actually have been early 1994.
It was about the time the 1.0 kernel came out. I'd been using various
Unix flavors since before that. I remember the instructions starting
out "format 25 floppy disks". Darkstar and later Slakware, way before
RedHat 4.2 came out, I think that was the first RH, the 42 reference
being pretty obvious.

We were using a.out binaries (before the switch to ELF) and when we
got dynamic libraries working we were dancing in the streets :-)
Getting an X server running was a real challenge, I remember I had to
buy a commercial server to support my Mach64 card in accelerated modes.

> What distribution are most MythTV users running?  I started with
> Fedora, but had a heck of a time every time an update happened.  I
> asked one of our RedHat jockeys at work "how do you go from FC5 to
> FC6?".  The answer was "nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be
> sure".  So, I switched back to Debian unstable and have been pretty
> happy since.

The two main "all in one" MythTV distributions are MythDora and
Knoppmyth, the former being based on FC and the latter on Debian I
think.

You see a lot of folks here running Myth on Gentoo, Ubuntu and others
though

The main question I would have is why did you want to update your
Fedora installation in the first place? The main thing I have learned
about Myth is that once you have it running LEAVE IT ALONE. I
actually put together another Myth machine to "play" with.