[mythtv-users] mythtv hardware plans

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Feb 4 03:16:59 UTC 2007

On Feb 3, 2007, at 7:57 PM, Brian Schott wrote:

> This might draw some flames, but instead of hardware RAID,I'd
> recommend you use LVM to create a concatenated partition across
> multiple drives (I believe the $/GB sweet spot is at 320GB right
> now).  You can add drives later and grow the filesystem (JFS and XFS
> support this, not sure if EXT3 does).  I've got 1.6TB (I just tell my
> girlfriend that hard drives are like shoes :-)!

Several vendors are selling 500GB Western Digital SATA drives for
$149US. I'd really hate to spend money on anything less than that
capacity these days. In addition to the price per GB you have to
think about power, space and heat issues. The 320 drive might be a
bad deal if you have to replace it to free up space instead of just
buying a 500 and then adding to it later.

I suspect that once the "perpendicular" drives start hitting the
market the price on the older 5000GB units will really drop. Right
now the 750GB perp drives are pretty pricey but as always that will
change. Terrabyte drives will of course become the norm, probably by
next week:-)