[mythtv-users] HD Woes (so close to working, dual-channel RAM question)

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 00:21:34 UTC 2007

On 2/3/07, Nate Crosno <nate at crosno.net> wrote:
> Brian Wood wrote:
> > On Feb 3, 2007, at 8:52 AM, Nate Crosno wrote:
> >
> >> I'm using this board with Nnidia chipset:
> >> JetWay J939GT3-PTD Socket 939 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 Micro ATX AMD
> >>     http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813153047
> >
> > That link doesn't show that particular board, might be obsolete by
> > now. I suspect from  the numbering scheme that you have an nForce3
> > chipset though, which should be OK. The Jetway boards are not the
> > best but are certainly a bargain for the $$$.
>

> Wow, they must have just taken that off today. I swear that link was working
> early this morning.  Anyway, here is a link directly to the PDF from Jetway's
> site: http://www.jetwaycomputer.com/spec/939GT3-PTD.pdf
> It says the chipset is nFoece410 MCP(MCP51G)
>
> > Make sure "threads" is in your USE= line in your /etc/make.conf then
> > do an "emerge uDN world" which will re-compile anything that can take
> > advantage of threading, like libraries, ffmpeg, qt etc.
>
> Thanks. I will do that.
>
> > Well that's a decent miminalist X server. You might check your V-Sync
> > settings in your nVidia server settings (disable "sync to vblank")
> > and the Myth F/E sync settings, that can increase CPU a lot but it
> > depends on a lot of things.
>
> I'm going to have to sit down and make a spreadsheet of all the various options
> to toggle off and on. I've lots track of all the things I have tried.

I assume your using the 9xxx drivers? have you tried the "UseEvents" option?

> > I'd still think about O/Cing if the mobo alows it.
>
> The MB is capable of it, but I have never done that before. After a little
> reading I am more confused than ever (ram timing vs core, etc). I need to do
> more research. If you have any guides that you are particularly fond of, I am
> all ears.

Easy, overclocking the Athlon's is all about their FSB speed. Normally
this is 200Mhz with a fixed multiplier depending on the CPU (10x for a
3200 to equal 2GHz).
To overclock...
Your FSB speed (or HTT speed) times your HTT multiplier (normally 5x)
needs to equal less than 1000Mhz. So if its normally 200MHz * 5 you
want to first lower the multiplier to 4 and raise your FSB speed. So
for instance, I currently have my 3200 at 250MHz*4 for a 2.5GHz
processor speed and 1000Mhz HTT. SOME motherboards can handle faster
HTT even allowing for up to 250MHz*5. But in testing, stick with 4x,
especially for a myth system, the extra HTT won't really do you
anything.
As you go up in FSB speed you may find it unstable, you can try
increasing the CPU voltage, but don't go up more than 1tick setting
(depends on your BIOS) at a time! I also suggest going up in FSB
slowly, start with 205, 210, then go up in smaller increments. If you
find information via google as to what others are running you can try
jumping faster. (ie I have a 3200 which I've read many people get
stable at 250 with a small voltage increase, so I started at 240 and
went up 1MHz at a time from there until I got to 250 which is where I
needed to bump the voltage).

> I may still go for another 512mb module to try and get the dual-channel going.
> I'll just buy it locally so I can return it if it makes no difference.

worth a shot.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!