[mythtv-users] lirc not starting up automatically

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 23:20:12 UTC 2007

On 03/02/07, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> wrote:
> When I reboot my computer, I have to manually modprobe lirc_i2c and
> restart the lircd service.  Unsure what I am doing wrong, but it is
> probably something obvious.
>
> I am using FC5, running from Jarod's guide.  Have an old PVR-350 card,
> and using the IR receiver that came with that.
>
> Here are some relevant datapoints:
>
> # chkconfig --list |grep lirc
> lircd           0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
>
>  more /etc/modprobe.conf
> alias char-major-61 lirc_i2c
> alias eth0 forcedeth
> alias scsi_hostadapter sata_nv
> alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
> options snd-card-0 index=0
> options snd-intel8x0 index=0
> remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ;
> }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0
> alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
> alias usb-controller1 ohci-hcd
> alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394
> # nvidia kernel module
> alias char-major-195 nvidia-1_0-9746
> alias nvidia nvidia-1_0-9746
> # ivtv modules setup
> alias char-major-81 ivtv
> alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
> install lirc_i2c /sbin/modprobe ivtv; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install lirc_i2c
> install ohci1394 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install ohci1394;
> /sbin/modprobe raw1394
>
> # dmesg |grep lirc
> lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, at major 61
> lirc_i2c: chip found @ 0x18 (Hauppauge IR)
> lirc_dev: lirc_register_plugin: sample_rate: 10
>

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can get modules automatically loaded by placing a modprobe script
in /etc/sysconfig/modules - I do this for a FC4 machine which ensures
that ivtv is loaded before LIRC etc. The alphanumeric ordering of the
script name dictates the execution order of the scripts (as with udev
rules) but you could place also commands in a single script. This
should also ensure that the appropriate LIRC modules are loaded before
the lircd init script is called.

hotplugd will load some modules for hardware found at boot, this
allows you to have other non-automagically modprobed modules loaded at
boot-time.

Nick
--
MythTV Official wiki: