[mythtv-users] Recommendations for Backend Hardware

Matt skd5aner at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 22:07:21 UTC 2007

Hey Everyone!

Wanted to see if I could get your feedback and recommendations for
some new hardware plans for my myth system.

Since 2004 I've had a single Backend/Frontend.  I want to migrate that
machine to a front-end only machine and purchase new hardware for a
master backend.

Here are my thoughts on what I'm looking for in a backend:
- Will not be used for anything except running the backend.
- Will not need any frontend capabilities (i.e. no need for HDTV
capability, etc).
- Must be able to hold multiple disks
- Must not be extremely loud, but no "silent" requirements necessary
- Prefer to spend $350-500
- I will migrate my existing tuner cards - 2 PVR-250 and 1 PVR-500.
In addition, I have 2 Air2PC HD-5000 cards that I may eventually want
to add to this box, but may consider building a slave backend to put
them in.
- I already have Hard Drives - However all our PATA (not SATA).
- I have a basic nvidia MX400 that I can through in this - I do not
care about quality of video out.
- I will likely start using a firewire connection from a cable
provider's STB in the near future.

So, what I'm looking for is
- CPU
- Mobo
- Case
- RAM
- PSU
- Cooling Solutions (heatsink, fans, etc)

I do not need:
- Tuners
- Video Card
- Hard Drives