[mythtv-users] Followed Digital Sound setup, many how-to's, and still completely lost.

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Sat Feb 3 19:20:57 UTC 2007

Steven Adeff wrote:
> On 2/3/07, Rich West <Rich.West at wesmo.com> wrote:
>
>> Rich West wrote:
>>
>>> *sigh*  I am reluctantly sending this to the listt, but no matter what I
>>> try, I cannot seem to get consistent results from any of the "digital
>>> sound" how-to's.
>>>
>>> Goal:
>>> Pump all sound out via SPDIF and let my receiver do the work.
>>>
>>> Near Goal:
>>> Hey, I would be content if I just had to switch the input on my receiver
>>> from the TV setting (L/R stereo in)) to my DVD setting (Optical 5.1
>>> Audio in).
>>>
>>> What I have tried so far:
>>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_Digital_Sound#ALSA_Utilities,
>>> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Dolby_Digital_Out_(AC3,_SPDIF) (I have FC5,
>>> but I thought some of it might apply), along with following a couple of
>>> threads in the list.
>>>
>>> Here's where I am at:
>>> <..snip..>
>>> Although I've read the Wiki's, How-To's, and other postings, I just feel
>>> like I am missing something simple here...
>>>

>> Muhaha.. I just got things working.  I missed the thread from "Josh
>> <TwoOneSix at thatclothingco.com>" titled "Re: [mythtv-users] M-Audio
>> Revolution 5.1 and FC6 [Working!]".
>>
>> The piece I was missing was (sort-of) listed in his message.  I needed
>> to set the default audio-output to ALSA:default along with the
>> passthrough device to ALSA:default.
>>
>> Watching LiveTV and watching recordings now outputs via the SPDIF
>> optical connection (interestingly, my receiver flips to "Dolby
>> Prologic"), and watching DVD Video's also outputs the sound via SPDIF
>> optical and the receiver properly sees the incoming stream as AC3.
>>
>> Interestingly, though, MythMusic no longer outputs anything.. Gotta look
>> in to that.
>>
>> BYW: Thanks Josh!
>>
>> -Rich
>>

> MythMusic has a separate device option, so you just need to go into
> the MythMusic settings and change it to match what you have for TV.
After seeing in my mythtvfrontend.log (I never even knew that there was
a "-v audio" option to mythfrontend. :) ):
2007-02-03 13:42:04.346 Opening ALSA audio device 'spdif'.
2007-02-03 13:42:04.347 in SetParameters(format=2, channels=2,
rate=44100, buffer_time=500000, period_time=125000)
2007-02-03 13:42:04.348 AudioOutput Error: Rate doesn't match (requested
44100Hz, got 48000Hz)

And then seeing your message, I changed the output device to /dev/dsp.
Muhahah.. that worked.  I just set it to /dev/dsp to use the L/R audio out.

It's actually kind of interesting that the optical input on my receiver
is tagged as "CD Optical Audio In".  CD's are 44.1khz, right?

Too bad I can't pump everything through the optical connection.. I
wonder why it won't send it at 44.1khz..

-Rich