[mythtv-users] HDTV CPU - will this work?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 17:13:30 UTC 2007

On 2/3/07, Daniel Kristjansson <danielk at cuymedia.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-02-03 at 02:09 -0600, Mitchell Gore wrote:
> > Just wondering if you think a AMD Mobil Sempron 3000+ would handle
> > HDTV decoding with out XvMC?
>
> Maybe, the Sempron 3000+ based on the Barton core has 512 KB
> of cache. A P4-HT 2800 Mhz with 512 KB of cache is able to
> playback 1080i when using a dual channel RAM configuration.
> A cache of at least 512 KB is important for HD MPEG-2 decoding.
> But raw computing speeds between processor architectures is
> very difficult to compare, in general the AMD XXXX+ number
> understate general computing speed wrt to Intel P4 processors,
> but overstate multimedia computing speed.
>
> I wouldn't recommend buying this processor if you want to do
> HD playback, but it is worth trying if you already have one.
> If it works please report back.

If you already have one (which I assume is why your asking) on a
desktop motherboard , you can also try overclocking it if you feel its
"almost" fast enough. You should be able to get it up to a 3200
equivalent which should be enough to play 1080i with Bob enabled.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!