[mythtv-users] mythtv hardware plans

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Feb 3 16:47:22 UTC 2007

On Feb 3, 2007, at 9:32 AM, jason maxwell wrote:

> So I'd like to get some input.
> I'm working on gathering the hardware to build myself one myth box to
> rule them all. I want to do this right, but cant totally break the
> bank doing it. I'll tell you what the plan is, let me know what you
> think.
>
> I will have a Comcast coax directly to the mythtv box, no set top box
> at all. I would like to have the option of watching and time shifting
> live or recorded HD content, while also recording other possibly HD
> content simultaneously.
>
> Here's what I have in mind so far:
>
> - non-VIA chipset ATX mobo
>   how fast will my proc need to be to do what i want?

As fast as you can afford :-)

You didn't mention what CPU architecture you're thinking of but there
are some really good deals on the socket 939 AMD chips these days.
You can get an FX60 for under $400 and an Opteron 165 for $100. This
assumes you're in the USA, your reference to Comcast would indicate
that.

> - (2) pcHDTV-5500 capture cards

Might consider the HD Homerun unit, cheaper for 2 HD tuners.

> - SATA ~400GB+ hard drive
>   I will likely add more storage down the road at some point. I tend
> to be a hoarder :)

If that's your only drive make sure your mobo can boot from SATA. I'd
consider a small (20-40GB) drive for the OS (I can't believe I just
referred to a 40GB drive as "small").

> - NVidia Geforce4 4200Ti AGP graphics
>   If mobo has AGP. If not, I dont mind springing for a new PCIX card,
> but cheaper is always better if this card could work.

If you get a 939 AGP board a 5200 card is cheap and known to work
great with Myth.

> - (2) 256MB DDR2 RAM
>   That should be plenty, right?

Again architecture dependent. The 939 chips need DDR1. I'd go with a
total of 1GB though, my SD system often has 900 MB in use, but some
of that is cache of course.

> Is there anything important that I'm overlooking? Other suggestions?
> Thanks in advance for all responses.

You are overlooking a good UPS, unless you just didn't mention it.
The APC units have good Linux support.

Nothing you have said is "wrong", I'm just throwing out stuff you
might not have thought of, which is basically what you asked for :-)