[mythtv-users] HDTV CPU - will this work?

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Sat Feb 3 14:50:46 UTC 2007

On Saturday 03 February 2007 03:09, Mitchell Gore wrote:
> Hi,Just wondering if you think a AMD Mobil Sempron 3000+ would handle HDTV
> decoding with out XvMC?Thanks,Mitchell

My system is similar, but not DIRECTLY, comparable to yours. I've got an Intel
Celeron D 3.06GHz, which should theoretically be pretty similar in speed to
yours. I don't have an HD TV set, but I do have a pcHDTV card, so I can
record HD content (in theory -- in practice my signals are weak enough that
it's hard to get a stable recording). I can play back reasonably well when I
use an nVidia MX4000-based card and the binary nvidia drivers, with about 55%
CPU time used by mythfrontend with XvMC or 70% CPU time used by mythfrontend
without XvMC. X itself takes another 10% CPU load in both cases, so I'm
pretty sure that's pretty close to the limit for the system. When I swap in a
video card based on a SiS 330 (aka Xabre 200), though, the mythfrontend CPU
use stays at 70% but the X CPU use jumps to 30% and I get brief pauses in
playback about once a second.

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com