[mythtv-users] New install and my problmes.

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 14:58:03 UTC 2007

> damian at MythBox:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend stop
> Stopping MythTV server: mythbackend .
> damian at MythBox:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start
> Starting MythTV server: mythbackendSession management error:
> Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols
> specified are supported and host-based authentication failed

Hmm, that looks unfamiliar.  Maybe that's a sudo configuration error?
What happens if you su and run /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start as
root?  Is mythbackend actually failing to start?  Or maybe the startup
script is trying to start mythbackend as a user that doesn't exist on
your system.

> damian at MythBox:~$ mysql -u root -p < /usr/share/mythtv/sql/mc.sql
> Enter password: [ENTER] (for no password)
> damian at MythBox:~$
> Takes me back to the prompt.

Well maybe that worked?

what happens now if you do:

$ mysql -u mythtv -p mythconverg

and give mythtv as the password?

You should get to  the mysql prompt

mysql>

If you do then try

select * from cardinput;

which should return a row for each capture card that you have installed.

type quit to exit.

If that all worked then try to restart the backend and look in the
backend log to see if things look any healthier.

Good Luck