[mythtv-users] New install and my problmes.

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Feb 2 03:47:21 UTC 2007

Damian Surr wrote:
>> Having just moved from Mandriva to Ubuntu, perhaps I can shed dome light
>> on your difficulties, well, some of them, anyway.
>>
>> (1) The Ubuntu (perhaps Debian?) install seems to create the 'mythtv'
>> user in the mysql database with a generated password: mine was
>> 'ovrvzjvw'. All the on-line docs and examples indicate you should be
>> running with 'mythtv' as a password. Perhaps the best bet is to use
>> mysqladmin to change it back before going anywhere near mythtv setup.
>>
> That certainly sheds some light on why the mysql problems might have
> happened. I'm not quite sure what to do about it though. Should I change
> the settings on my user to use the password that was generated? That
> seems to be the best thing to do in terms of keeping things working, but
> I'm not sure how to go about doing it!
> Should I change the generated password to mythtv (as all the docs say it
> should be)? If so, how?
>
> Sorry id these are dumb questions. I know nothing about mysql (if that
> is what's causing the problems. Trying to find my own solution last
> night got me part way, but I just don't know what to do with the
> situation I'm left in
>> (2) The 'mythtv' user, I believe, should be considered a 'system'
>> account, that is, you should never have to log into a shell using it.
>> Certainly up to now I have never found the need to. Your only link with
>> it is via the various myth programs and scripts, which should all
>> reference the mysql.txt file. Note there can be an alarming number of
>> these files in different locations: why? Anyhow, do a find for them and
>> make sure they all have identical values.
>>
> I was logging into it last night because I thought it was the only
> account that let myth work. Now it seems that my partners account works
> too, meaning that mine is the only account that doesn't work.

You might want to check whether you can use mysql as the 'root' user
(that is, 'root' for mysql, not the system root.) You can try this while
logged in as a normal linux user.

Try 'mysql -u root -p  mysql;' It will ask for the password. On Fedora
the default is actually no password at all!. The mysql database keeps
all the system data. Then type:

select host,user,password from user;

You should get something like:

+-------------------+----------+------------------+
| host              | user     | password         |
+-------------------+----------+------------------+
| localhost         | root     |                  |
| localhost         | geoff    | 330040e53766a829 |
| localhost         | mythtv   | 0476fc026afffe24 |
+-------------------+----------+------------------+

This will at least tell you what your users are, and whether a password
has been set. If a password has been set for mysql user mythtv, you can
delete that user ( delete from user where user = 'mythtv';) (yes that is
confusing, one user is the table, and the other is the field).

Then go back and run the mysql setup script, mc.sql (the one that starts
'create database if not exists mythconverg', That script creates the
'mythtv' mysql user, and sets his/her/its password.

Now, your mythtv user should be able to access the mysql database.
BTW this *is* in the documentation....

Geoff