[mythtv-users] IP Tunnel??

Brian Schott bschott at east.isi.edu
Fri Feb 2 01:12:28 UTC 2007

Let's see if we understand the question:

1. You have a subnetwork (like a 192.168.x.x) behind an access point
that runs network address translation (NAT), say in your dorm room?

2. You want to move the backend to a network outside your local NAT
onto the main campus network (friends with root are friends
indeed :-) to get better bandwidth to the internet?

The answer is most likely yes, but should you?  Right now your front
end and backend are talking to each other over a local network
switch.  When you watch TV, the stream between front-end and back-end
might average 3Mb/sec (depending on transcoder settings).  My guess
is that your busy college network will give you really poor
performance if you are competing with multiple users on the college
network.

If you don't have to move the backend box to change networks, why not
just plug your NAT device into the campus network?  Alternatively,
beg borrow or buy a PCI network interface card (they are probably $10
on newegg.com and are often found as trash in computer lab equipment
rooms) and install a second card into your backend.  One card is the
local lan, the new card connects to the campus network.  Best of both
worlds.